This challenging course is for candidates wanting LIVE instruction with in-depth, hands-on practical labs to master the career skills & knowledge. Your veteran teacher will share all the do’s and don’ts in working with clients. You will learn key topics including biomechanics, exercise physiology, fitness testing, equipment usage, and health assessment as you participate in classroom and hands-on practical training in our Waterbury Campus fitness center. This personal trainer course is a great way to prepare for the national exam. 36 hours
This certification is for health and fitness professionals wanting to gain knowledge, training, and competency to assess fitness levels, design fitness programs and provide motivating exercise instruction for older adults. This course is a great addition to your knowledge base and allows you the opportunity to learn the proper exercise techniques, stretching, programming and safety needed for your older adult clients.
Prerequisite - Student's must have a health related bachelor's degree or be a certified personal trainer to enroll.
Learn how to successfully manage a personal training program or health fitness department as a strategic business unit (SBU) while earning a certificate in this innovative management program. Complete core learning online and gain valuable experience in the field by adding an optional field internship. Upon completion, you'll be prepared for a career in health clubs, wellness centers, personal training studios, physical therapy clinics, YMCAs, JCCs, college/university centers or recreational settings. Online/self-paced. 200 hours/6 months
Learn how to promote wellness, balance, and health in all aspects of your daily life. Discover how true health depends upon wholeness of the mind, body, and spirit. Explore naturopathy and proper breathing techniques that enhance health. Examine using the power of the mind for healing the body; delve into vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, free radicals, and the basic requirements that constitute a healthy diet. Herbal healing, aromatherapy, body therapies, massage techniques, osteopathy, chiropractic, Tai Chi, reflexology, yoga, Feng Shui, and therapeutic touch will also be discussed. Online Format
This nationally recognized online program has been designed to meet the growing demand of allied health/medical professionals, Registered Dieticians, fitness professionals, personal trainers, and the general public who want to learn about developing individulized nutritional programs for clients, patients, or personal improvement. This innovative and comprehensive Web-based certificate program provides an in-depth examination of contemporary nutritional topics such as meal plan analysis, functional food implementation, antioxidants, public nutrition, sports nutrition, vitamin supplementation, and weight management. Online
This course investigates the philosophy of yoga, its origins, and its place in our contemporary lives. It teaches the different aspects of yoga and areas of study that encompass the foundational principles of the discipline. Students will learn the basic poses as well as meditation and breathing techniques. 45 hours
Explore the physiological, social, and psychological impacts of stress and study the modalities to get stress under control. Examine the relationship between stress and health, nutrition, and physical activity; and discover how stress can develop in the workplace. Trace both the psychological effects of stress, and understand how stress affects health and wellbeing. Learn about the different therapies that can help reduce stress, including how healthy living habits-such as exercise and diet- can help counteract the negative impact of stress.
In this classroom-based course, health care professionals learn to recognize several life-threatening emergencies, provide CPR to victims of all ages, use an automated electronic defibrillator (AED), and relieve choking in a safe, timely and effective manner. Participants who successfully complete the written exam and skills validation will receive an American Heart Association BLS for Health Care Providers certification card, valid for two years. This course meets most health care employers' requirements for formal BLS evaluation and meets the requirements for many health care education programs, including those at NVCC.
Degree and Certificate Credit Programs
Related Degree and Certificate Programs that may interest you.
- Business Management A.S.
- General Studies A.S.
- Liberal Arts and Sciences A.A.
- Physical Therapy Assistant A.S.
- Business Management Certificate
- You must be 18 year of age.
- A high school diploma or GED is strongly recommended and is often required by employers for Certified Personal Trainer.
- Textbooks and Educational Materials:
- Personal Fitness Trainer - A textbook is required (not included in the cost of the course) and must be purchased separately before class begins. Please order and start reading immediately. 888-330-9487 or WITS Education . Fitness Professional's Handbook - 7th Edition with web resource by Edward Howley, Dixie Thompson Hardback book, ISBN-13: 9781492523376 ebook ISBN-13: 9781492535935.
- Online courses - All materials are available and included in the cost of the program.
- Basic Life Support (CPR/AED) certification is required for Personal Trainer Certification. NVCC offers Basic Life Support courses to fulfill the CPR/AED certification requirement for WITS National Personal Trainer Certification. Access BLS schedule here.
- Refund Policy, Changes and Cancellations: Withdrawal and refund requests must be received three business days (72 hours) prior to the beginning of class unless stated otherwise in the course description. Refunds are not granted after this deadline. Telephone: 203-575-8029 Fax: 203-575-8243
- College closings due to inclement weather: Closings are announced over local AM/ FM radio/TV stations, on the college website (nv.edu), on the college’s main phone line (203-575-8000) and a text message is sent to everyone who is registered through the myCommNetAlert System. Likewise, in the event of an early closing, the same communication will occur. If the college has a delayed opening, all classes that begin before the delayed opening time will not be held that day and will be rescheduled at another time. Danbury and off-site cancellations: If NVCC cancels or delays classes, this applies to Waterbury and Danbury Campuses as well as all off-site locations.
- Students with Special Needs-ADA: Students who may require academic adjustments on the basis of a disability are encouraged to contact the Counselor for Students with Disabilities (Terry Latella K519C) at the Waterbury and Danbury Campuses. After providing documentation and completing the disability disclosure process, students are then encouraged to meet with their instructor(s) to discuss the adjustments approved by the appropriate disabilities contact and to complete the Adjustments Agreement form. Students are therefore encouraged to meet with the Disabilities Counselor and their instructor(s) at the beginning of each semester. Adjustments are not retroactive. Instructors, in conjunction with appropriate college personnel, will provide assistance and/or adjustments only to those students who have completed the disability disclosure and academic adjustments process.
Course Registration and Payment Plans
No formal application to the College is required for non-credit/workforce training courses.
Registrations are accepted on an ongoing basis for upcoming classes.
Call us: 203-575-8029 for information (Motorcycle registrations cannot be taken by phone)
Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
New Secure Fillable Format Workforce Development and Continuing Education Registration Form
Fax: 203-575-8243 (secure line)
Mail and send with payment (checks or money order made out to NVCC only) to:
Office of Non-Credit Lifelong Learning Registration
Or stop by, we're happy to assist you!
Accepted Forms of Payment:
Money Orders or Checks
Mail-in registrations credit cards or checks only, Please do not mail cash!
Careers in fitness and wellbeing are in demand. The Connecticut Department of Labor (CTDOL) statistics note the average annual income as $44,938 and the entry level hourly rate as $11.48. Employment in this occupation is projected to grow faster than average and the number of annual job openings will offer excellent job opportunities.
Personal Trainers must combine a unique set of knowledge and skills. You will be teacher, coach, mentor, and leader in a growing industry. The CTDOL provides additional career information at: Personal Trainer Career.
Personal Trainers work in a variety of settings from large gyms and small residential facilities to self-employment with a private client list. Part-time and full time work is available. Early morning and evening hours are often required as well as weekends and some holidays.