WAVE: Workforce Achievers Value Education
Eligibility for this grant-funded program is two-fold:
- Federal eligibility is based on qualification through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunities Act.
- Program eligibility is determined through a one-on-one interview with NVCC’s program coordinator and a review of high school transcripts.
Individuals accepted in the WAVE program make a commitment of at least one year. Students are expected to explore potential career choices, work in their field of interest, and earn career credentials. Following this, students will decide which career path to follow and their plan of study.
Over the years, WAVE has achieved an 89% graduation rate with more than half of those students graduating in just two years!
- Each semester approximately 30% of WAVE students make the Dean’s list and 90% achieve a 2.0 or higher GPA.
- WAVE students consistently achieve high honors and scholarships: many have been inducted into Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society and Alpha Beta Gamma Business Honor Society.
- A number of our students have received scholarships from organizations like the Connecticut Association of Latinos in Higher Education (CALAHE), the Connecticut Talent Assistance Cooperative (CONTAC), and the American Savings Foundation. WAVE students have also received the prestigious President to President scholarship. These opportunities allow a number of our students to attend a four-year university, virtually debt-free.
- WAVE students pursue paid internships and obtain industry-recognized credentials that align with their career interest.
College and University Visits
Occupational Skill Training