Complete the required training to obtain your Connecticut Guard Card in just one day. Your training will include a day packed with small group discussion and simulated experiences as you learn about private security, search and seizure, basic first aid and many other public safety issues. Students are required to complete a written exam with a minimum score of 75%. (8 Hours)
Degree and Certificate Credit Programs
Related Degree and Certificate Programs that may interest you.
- Criminal Justice-Public Safety A.S Degree
- Computer Crime Deterrence A.S. Degree
- Focus Area: Corrections A.S. Degree
- Focus Area: Forensics A.S. Degree
- Law Enforcement A.S. Degree
- Focus Area: Security A.S. Degree
- Cybersecurity A.S. Degree
- CSCU Transfer: Criminology Studies A.A./A.S. Degree
- Certificate in Computer Crime Deterrence
What should I know before I register for this course?
- Students should be a minimum of 18 years old.
- Students must bring a valid GOVERNMENT ISSUED PHOTO ID OR DRIVER'S LICENSE to class.
- Applicants who have been convicted of a felony or sexual offense are not eligible for the Security Officer licensing.
- You must be on time for this class and participate all day as part of the State of Connecticut training requirements. If you are late to class, you will not be permitted to enter and you will not receive a refund. Please plan ahead. We advise visiting the Waterbury or Danbury Campus in advance and locating your classroom and parking options. NVCC cannot be liable for traffic conditions.
- It is suggested that you pack a lunch. Short breaks will be taken as part of the course schedule.
- Upon successful completion of the Security Guard course you will receive a signed Security Guard Application and one set of fingerprints. Fingerprints will be done by a certified professional during the course and is included in the cost of the course.
- The Security Guard Certification Card (Guard Card) is issued by the State of Connecticut and requires additional payments at the time of application. This application process will be reviewed in class. Three separate checks will be required when applying to the state of CT for your guard card; (a.) Application fee ($100.00), (b.) FBI background inquiry ($13.25), (c.) State of Connecticut background inquiry ($75.00)
- Students should also bring something to write with.
- Refund Policy, Changes and Cancellations: Withdrawal and refund requests must be received three business days (72 hours) prior to the beginning of class unless stated otherwise in the course description. Refunds are not granted after this deadline. Telephone: 203-575-8029 Fax: 203-575-8243
- College closings due to inclement weather: Closings are announced over local AM/ FM radio/TV stations, on the college website (nv.edu), on the college’s main phone line (203-575-8000) and a text message is sent to everyone who is registered through the myCommNetAlert System. Likewise, in the event of an early closing, the same communication will occur. If the college has a delayed opening, all classes that begin before the delayed opening time will not be held that day and will be rescheduled at another time. Danbury and off-site cancellations: If NVCC cancels or delays classes, this applies to Waterbury and Danbury Campuses as well as all off-site locations.
- Students with Special Needs-ADA: Students who may require academic adjustments on the basis of a disability are encouraged to contact the Counselor for Students with Disabilities (Terry Latella K519C) at the Waterbury and Danbury Campuses. After providing documentation and completing the disability disclosure process, students are then encouraged to meet with their instructor(s) to discuss the adjustments approved by the appropriate disabilities contact and to complete the Adjustments Agreement form. Students are therefore encouraged to meet with the Disabilities Counselor and their instructor(s) at the beginning of each semester. Adjustments are not retroactive. Instructors, in conjunction with appropriate college personnel, will provide assistance and/or adjustments only to those students who have completed the disability disclosure and academic adjustments process.
Course Registration and Payment Plans
No formal application to the College is required for non-credit/workforce training courses.
Registrations are accepted on an ongoing basis for upcoming classes.
Call us: 203-575-8029 for information (Motorcycle registrations cannot be taken by phone)
Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
New Secure Fillable Format Workforce Development and Continuing Education Registration Form
Fax: 203-575-8243 (secure line)
Mail and send with payment (checks or money order made out to NVCC only) to:
Office of Non-Credit Lifelong Learning Registration
Or stop by, we're happy to assist you!
Accepted Forms of Payment:
Money Orders or Checks
Mail-in registrations credit cards or checks only, Please do not mail cash!
Security Guard positions are available in many businesses such as security agencies, retail stores, hospitals, schools, banks, housing complexes, and construction businesses. The industry will continue to grow as companies are becoming more creative in their service and use of manpower. The Connecticut Department of Labor (CTDOL) reports the average annual income for Security Guard is $33,187 and the entry-level hourly rate is $15.39 The CTDOL states employment in this occupation is expected to grow about as fast as average, and the number of annual opening will offer excellent job opportunities.
Additional career/job seeker information is available from the CTDOL. Security Guard