About the Accuplacer Test
NVCC uses the Accuplacer computerized, adaptive placement test to assess your basic skills in English and mathematics. The test results are used by advisors to make decisions about the level of courses you are prepared to take.
Prior to signing up for the test, you must:
- Complete and submit an application for admission to the Admissions Office.
- Meet with an Academic Advisor or Admissions Counselor and receive an official Placement Test Referral.
- Get your Student/Banner/Net ID from the Admissions Office - this is your student ID number and it is required to take the test.
- Returning or transfer students: check with your advisor about whether or not to take one or more parts of the placement test.
Photo ID is required for all students testing at NVCC.
- At this time, NVCC does not permit students to retest in Accuplacer.
- Please meet with an Academic Advisor if you have questions regarding your placement.
Minimum Score Requirements to be Waived from Testing
Test date prior to March 2016:
- 500 in Math
- 450 in Critical Reading or Writing.
Test date after March 2016:
- 530 in Math
- 480 in New Evidence-Based Reading/Writing
- 26 in SAT Writing & Language
- 25 in SAT Reading
- 18 in Math
- 21 in English
- 47 in English and Reading combined.
Test date after the 2014 revision:
- 165 in GED Math Reasoning Test
- 165 in GED Reasoning Language Arts
- Must be the GED test, does not apply to any other test.
How to Prepare for the Placement Test
There are a number of resources to help you review in reading, grammar, arithmetic and algebra before taking the placement test.
- Find 'SAT preparation' online or review books to help you refresh your basic skills at local bookstores, libraries and online.
- Visit NVCC's Testing Center or our Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) for additional study guides and practice tests. The ACE also has tutors if you'd like some extra guidance.
- Download a study guide or take an online practice test:
Answer: Food and drink are strictly prohibited.
Photo Identification is required for all students testing at NVCC’s Testing Center. The ID must include the student’s name and a recognizable photograph.
Acceptable forms of photo identification include:
- A current driver’s license
- A state ID (non-driver ID)
- A high school ID
- A college ID
- A military ID
- A current passport
- A tribal ID
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
- A residency card or green card
- A recent yearbook from the student’s high school
Answer: Cell phones and other electronic devices are strictly prohibited.
The purpose of taking a placement test is to identify your academic strengths and needs and plan an appropriate schedule of course work.
Answer: Accuplacer is a computerized adaptive placement test to assess your basic skills in English, reading and mathematics.
Answer: There is no talking permitted in the testing center once test sessions are underway. If you have a question or problem during the test, raise your hand and wait for a proctor to assist you. Proctors are not permitted to answer questions about the test items.
No. There is no fee for Accuplacer testing at this time.
- NVCC does not permit retesting at this time.
Contact NVCC's Testing Center
Testing Center Location:
Kinney Hall, Room 519e