Skip to main content
Select Language

Types of Aid

Types of Aid

There are two main types of aid:

Merit-based Aid is given to students who have a special characteristic, skill, talent or ability. A scholarship is an example of merit-based aid. Merit-based aid is usually a gift that does not have to be paid back, although students who get merit aid sometimes have to promise to teach or perform some other service when they finish school.  Learn more about scholarships here.

Need-based Aid is given to students who can show they need financial assistance to pursue an education beyond high school. Most financial aid is awarded on the basis of need. There are three kinds of need-based aid:

  • Grants are gifts that do not have to be paid back. Federal grant programs include the Federal Pell Grant and the Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). Grants may also be funded by the State of Connecticut and NVCC.  Learn more about grants here.
  • Work-study is money that students must earn by working at a part-time job. Funds used to pay the major portion of a student’s work-study earnings come from the Federal or State Work-Study Program.  Learn more about Work-Study here.
  • Loans are borrowed money that have to be paid back over a period of time, usually after the student leaves school. Currently, NVCC participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program.  Learn more about loans here.

One of the principles behind need-based aid is that students and their families should pay for educational expenses to the extent they are able. If you think your educational expenses are more than you and your family can afford, you should apply for need-based financial aid.

Consortium agreements exist between two schools whereby money is transferred from the student's "home school" to their "host school" for payment of course(s) at the host institution.  Students must see their "home school" financial aid office for instructions. For further information and to complete the agreement. NVCC students may contact the Financial Aid Office at 203-575-8274.

To find out more information on filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, visit our Apply page.