Register for classes | Request a transcript | Withdraw from a class

Office of the Registrar

Office of the Registrar

Want to register for classes? Request a transcript? Withdraw from a class? The Office of the Registrar can help you with these and other services. Our office maintains the permanent academic records of all current students and former graduates. We also maintain, interpret, and monitor academic policy and procedures for students, faculty and administrative staff.

View Instructional Methods for the Spring 21 Semester

Important Withdrawal Dates for Winter 2020 & Spring 2021 Credit Students:

The last day for Winter 2020 student-initiated withdrawal is January 8, 2021.

Spring 2021 Withdrawal Dates:

 Last Day for
Student-initiated Withdrawal
Classes ending on or before March 23, 2021 Friday, March 5, 2021
Classes ending on or before April 9, 2021 Thursday, March 25, 2021
Full semester and Late Start Classes Thursday, April 22, 2021

Students who wish to withdraw must adhere to the appropriate withdrawal date for their course(s).

 Methods for official withdrawal:

  • online at (access permitting)
  • by visitng the Registrar's Office, K516 and filling out the appropriate forms during regular office hours no later than the last day for student-initiated withdrawals
  • by fax (203-575-8085) by midnight
  • by mail postmarked no later than the last day for student-initiated withdrawals
  • e-mail request by midnight sent with your student NVCC college email account
  • e-mail scanned request with scanned signature by midnight sent with your personal email account

Request for withdrawals will not be taken over the phone.

If you are considering withdrawing, contact your faculty or advisor first to discuss all your options. It's important to understand how it can affect your Financial Aid and could result in your owing a balance with the Bursar’s office. 

Enrolling for Spring

Spring 2021 Semester Registration Dates:

    • Continuing/Returning students: 10/20-1/21/21
    • New students: 10/22-1/21/21

NVCC is offering a mix of online and onground classes for the semester. Learn more about instructional methods here.

Office of registrar contact info & overview

Office of the Registrar

Email the Registrar

P: 203-596-2177 
F: 203-575-8085  
Mon.-Fri.,  8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

750 Chase Parkway
Room: K516 
Waterbury, CT 06708 

Apply to

Advanced Placement (AP) Exam Policy & Equivalencies

Naugatuck Valley Community College, in alignment with state and national standards, grants academic credit on the basis of scores on the Advanced Placement Examinations (AP Exams) administered by the College Entrance Examination Board. Students who earn a score of 3 or higher receive credit for the courses for which the exams are stipulated as measures. 

Please refer to the NVCC Equivalents for College Board Advanced Placement Exams grid for more information.

All score reports must be submitted to the Registrar's Office.

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) & Student Complaints

The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state. SARA is overseen by a National Council and administered by four regional education compacts. The Connecticut Office of Higher Education became a member of SARA in 2017, which allows Naugatuck Valley Community College to apply to be a member of SARA. NVCC has applied; approval from Connecticut Office of Higher Education is pending.

Save time with these online services

Log in to MyCommNet to:
  • search and register for classes 
  • view your class schedule, grades, academic history and account status
  • obtain Enrollment Verifications 
  • apply for graduation 
  • request your official transcript 
  • complete a degree audit using DegreeWorks

Forget your NetID orPassword?

Register for courses

How to Register for Courses

First-time students must meet with a counselor before registering for courses. If you have taken courses at NVCC before, you are encouraged to meet with the advisor assigned to your major for guidance, but it is not required. A number of our classes are offered online. Learn more before you sign up or if you're ready, register now through myCommNet

myCommNet allows students to register from any computer anywhere, at any time. If you are not comfortable using a computer or need assistance, stop by Room K522 in Kinney Hall and someone will help you get started. If you have questions or concerns contact us at the email or number listed above.

Request a transcript

How to Request a Transcript

You can obtain your official transcripts in an electronic format (eTranscript). Current and former students will be able to request official eTranscrips to be sent to other educational institutions, potential employers, or any other appropriate entities.

  • Current and Recent Students: Students who have been issued a NetID and password should log in to myCommNet, navigate to Banner Self-Service, Student Records and click on the Request an Official eTranscript link. If you do not remember your NetID or password, please use the online self-help tools to obtain your NetID or reset your NetID password.
  • Former Students: Students who have not been issued a NetID, please use Parchment Storefront to submit an official eTranscript request. Please ensure that your last name, first name, date of birth and last four digits of your SSN are entered correctly so that your request can be processed in a timely manner.
  • Transcript Request Form: Current and former students who prefer to submit a paper form to request a transcript, please download and submit the Transcript Request Form to the Office of the Registrar.
Withdrawing from a Course

Thinking of Withdrawing from a Course?

Know your options. Weigh the consequences. Follow the proper steps.

Know your options

Deciding whether to stay in a course or withdraw is an important decision and there are many factors to consider in making your choice. Before you withdraw, you should talk to your instructor about your current progress in the course and explore appropriate alternatives to withdrawal, such as receiving an incomplete grade (I) or making special arrangements to complete your assignments. Then, meet with your academic advisor or a counselor to discuss the information you received from your instructor along with your reasons for why you want or need to withdraw.

Common reasons for withdrawing from courses and where you can turn for help:
Reason Where to Get Help
Illness Instructor
Serious Illness Dean of Students
Difficult Course(s) ACE Center
Child Care Child Development Center
Finances(s) Financial Aid Office
Work Schedule Conflict Instructor or Counselor
Too Many Courses Counselor
Excessive Absences Instructor or Counselor
Personal Problems Instructor or Counselor

Weigh the consequences.

Important information to know about NVCC’s grading system:

Withdrawal (W) Student Initiated: Students have the right to formally leave a course or the College and the right to receive counseling and assistance in order to maintain enrollment in courses. Students are advised that course withdrawal may alter progress toward program completion. Students are strongly encouraged to discuss their decisions with their instructor, counselor or advisor.

Incomplete (I): At the discretion of the instructor, the notation “I” may be assigned if a student, for extenuating circumstances, has not completed all course requirements. Usually, an “I” would be changed to a letter grade by the end of the next semester; however, the instructor has the option of establishing the completion date. If a grade change is not submitted to the Registrar by the instructor by the end of the semester following that in which the “I” was assigned, the “I” will be converted to an “F.”

It is important to know that courses from which you withdraw are not counted or audited as part of your academic load when full-time or part-time status is reported to the following:

    • Financial Aid Office
    • an employer
    • a health insurance carrier
    • Immigration and Naturalization Service
    • Department of Veterans Affairs.

Follow the proper steps.

A registered student wishing to withdraw from a course must submit a withdrawal request, in writing, to the Office of the Registrar. Requests must be received by the deadline within the withdrawal period. The effective date of withdrawal is the date the withdrawal is received. Withdrawals can be made in person, by mail or online through your student account at myCommnet. Visit your instructor, academic advisor or a counselor to discuss your withdrawal from a course.

  1. Students who plan to withdraw from any courses must also report to the Financial Aid Office for counseling prior to the actual course withdrawal.
  2. Be aware of the last day to initiate your withdrawal. View the refund policy online or visit the Office of the Registrar.

Test Scores
Immunization Information
Transcript Information
International Student Transcript Information
Immunization Information
Proof of English Proficiency Test Information
Our History
Project Approach
The Hundred Languages of Children
Waterbury Campus
Danbury Campus
Waterbury Campus
Danbury Campus
title here
Net Price Calculator
Testing Module Element