Skip to main content
Select Language

Transfer Planning

If you would like to speak directly with a transfer advisor, please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Planning Your Transfer

At NVCC, you can create your own pathway to a four-year degree and we are here to help! Check out our transfer video to get started. If you are interested in transferring from NVCC to another college or university, we will help you: acquire information about transferring through individual counseling (email us to set up an appointment) consider one of the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities Transfer Tickets consider the Guaranteed Admission Program (GAP) and Dual Admissions Program (DAP), look at transfer articulations with other colleges, meet transfer counselors from other colleges and universities, and create a personalized pathway to earning a four-year degree.

Guaranteed Admission

Recent initiatives by the Connecticut Board of Regents (BOR) for Higher Education have placed a renewed focus on creating a seamless transfer process for CT Community College graduates to continue their education at the four state universities (CCSU, SCSU, WCSU, ECSU) and Charter Oak State College. Successful completion of such a transfer associate degree will offer the student guaranteed admission and junior status to the receiving university or Charter Oak State College without "course by course" transfer.

For more information on CSCU or UCONN guaranteed transfers, visit:

NVCC also has official articulation agreements with many local colleges and universities. These agreements outline courses a student should complete at NVCC and specify which credits the university will accept in order to make the transfer process as smooth as possible. 

For more information on CT Guaranteed Transfers outside the CSCU, visit:

Transfer Guide for Psychology Students

Interested in pursuing a 4-year degree in Psychology? Read our guide to Psychology Transfer opportunities.

Transfer Contacts

Transfer Planning FAQs

Should I plan ahead if I want to transfer to another college?

Yes! It is important to your education and career plans that you choose an appropriate major and courses that will meet the requirements at your next school. The earlier you start planning, the easier the transfer process will be!

With whom do I talk if I'm considering transferring?

At Naugatuck Valley: stop by the Center for Academic Planning & Student Success (CAPSS) in Kinney Hall, Room 520, to meet with an advisor. They can answer your questions and guide you through the process.

At another college/university: Generally, there are transfer admissions representatives in the admissions office. Representative information is usually listed within the admissions section on a university's website.  Additionally, department heads or advisors will often meet with a prospective transfer student, although that varies from college to college.

What major should I choose at NVCC?

The Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) degree program is the most easily transferable. LAS represents the broad education of a college degree; your major represents your area of specialization, which is either academic or career/training-centered. Many colleges prefer that you take your major courses with them. Earning your LAS degree at NVCC will give you time and flexibility in choosing a major.

You may also consider these transfer majors:

  • Math/Science for medicine, health, engineering and science majors
  • Behavioral Science for psychology, sociology, anthropology and social work majors
  • General Studies for any major that requires special courses that do not fit well into the LAS major
  • Other majors at Naugatuck Valley may have transfer agreements in place, or in some cases, unofficial arrangements. Check with your program coordinator or view the articulations agreements at NVCC.
What practical issues about my situation should I consider?
  • Cost: Even if a university seems expensive, financial aid is often available to lessen costs. Don't be immediately deterred because of a large price tag.
  • Commuting distance (if commuting) and ease of parking
  • Availability and strength of your intended major: How many students are in your intended program? Does the college offer a diversity of courses for your major? 
  • Competitiveness: How many transfer students does the college accept? Are there academic and/or GPA requirements? Do you meet those standards?
  • Facilities and student services: academic facilities, library, tutoring and other student services

Consider personal factors:

  • Campus community: Can you see yourself on the grounds? In the buildings? Finding or creating a community with other students and faculty?
  • Extra-curricular activities and sports: Do you want to write for a school newspaper? Join an intramural basketball league? Volunteer at a local hospital?
  • Prestige of the university, if this is important to you.
How many of my courses will transfer to my new college?

Generally, all liberal arts courses will transfer. Non-liberal arts courses will often transfer as specific courses, but usually as undesignated electives. Expect to transfer no more than 60 - 75 credits to another college from a community college; schools will vary as to how many courses they will take. Speak with the transfer counselor regarding yourspecific situation.

If I have credits from another college prior to coming to Naugatuck Valley, will they transfer?

Each college evaluates credits independently. Even if Naugatuck Valley accepted credits from another college, the next school will still re-evaluate, looking at original transcripts from each institution.

What do I do if I think my credits did not transfer properly?

You can appeal credit evaluations; see the transfer counselor in the admissions office or your advisor at your new school.

What if I have other questions that aren't answered here?

Make an appointment with us either by stopping by CAPSS in Kinney Hall, RoomK520, or calling us at 203-575-8025.