After You’ve Completed the FAFSA
Tracking your Status:
After you complete your FAFSA, the Federal Department of Education (D.O.E.) will email you when they have completed processing including a link to your SAR (Student Aid Report). Use this link to see if there are any errors or omissions you must address in order to complete your FAFSA. Many of these items can be addressed by contacting our office and providing appropriate documentation. Because of the encryption process protecting your FAFSA’s personal information, it can take as long as 10 business days between your email notice from the DOE and our receipt of your FAFSA.
After April 1st, you will be able to track your completed financial aid application and award information online by using MyCommNet. MyCommNet will also list any outstanding documents required before we can determine your eligibility for financial aid.
- Log into myCommNet (see below if this is your first time logging in)
- Click on Financial Aid
- Click on My Eligibility
- Follow the instructions there to complete any outstanding requirements. If you have outstanding requirements you have been randomly selected for Federal Verification by the Federal Government
- If your award is complete, you many click on My Award Information to review your financial aid award
Logging into MyCommNet for the first time
Banner ID and password for myCommnet.edu
- 1st three characters of your birth month (first letter is capitalized)
- The “&” symbol
- Last 4 digits of your social security number
*If you encounter difficulty logging on to myCommNet, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page or contact the Records Office at 203-596-2177 for assistance. The financial aid staff is unable to assist myCommNet-related issues.
- There is a possibility that you may be selected for verification. This means you may need to submit additional documents to NVCC's Financial Aid Office. Please be aware, this will add more processing time to your financial aid award approval.
You must make payment arrangements with the Bursar's Office at the time of registration if you have not received your financial aid award at that time. Classes can only be held for 24 hours with no financial aid or payment in place.
Completion of the FAFSA does not guarantee that all costs incurred at Naugatuck Valley will be covered by a financial aid award. You must be prepared to make other payment arrangements with the Bursar's Office should this occur.
Signed FAFSA applications will be processed and reviewed in the order they are received at the financial aid office. Unsigned or incomplete FAFSA applications (rejected ISIR records) cannot be considered for financial assistance until corrections have been submitted to the federal processor.
All applications will be awarded on a funds available basis.
- Federal law prohibits release of student information to any party other than the student. For further details, please review the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).