International Students Steps to Apply

Welcome International Students!

Below are the steps to enroll at Naugatuck Valley Community College.

Application deadlines for overseas applicants are:
Fall Semester: June 15 
Spring Semester: November 1

Transfer students in the U.S.: 
One month before classes begin

Need more help?  
Contact the International Student Advisor,  Jennifer Wissink
Jennifer Wissink
International Student Advisor
203-575-8010 (p)
203-596-8766 (f)
Room: Kinney Hall, K500
750 Chase Parkway
Waterbury, CT 06708
Apply to NVCC

Apply to NVCC

Apply and submit your supporting documents.

Click to see more

International students should download and use the paper application

Along with your application, you'll need to provide the following documents:

Request for Social Security Number

Submit a Request for Social Security Number form, signed to indicate that you “decline to provide a Social Security Number”

Download the Form

Proof of High School Completion or GED

Please provide proof of high school completion (including national exam results if applicable) by sending a photocopy of your high school diploma, GED, or an official high school transcript with date of graduation along with with an English translation,

Immunization Records

Students must submit immunization documentation for two doses of Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) and two doses of Varicella (Chicken Pox).

You may use the form below or send in one from your country with an English translation.

Immunization Form

Proof of English Proficiency

Please provide proof of English proficiency: F-1 visa students applying from overseas must achieve a score of 61 on the internet-based TOEFL exam or a band score of 6 on the IELTS exam.

Those students already in Connecticut may choose to take the Accuplacer instead.

Students who do not achieve acceptable scores on the TOEFL, IELTS, or Accuplacer test may not be eligible for a Form I-20.

Learn How to Schedule A Test

Previous College Transcripts (Optional)

If you have taken college level classes, you will need to request an official transcript from the respective college to see if your courses are eligible for credit at NVCC. Transcripts may also be used to waive placement testing and prerequisite requirements. If your college credits were earned overseas, you must get the transcripts professionally evaluated in order for transfer credit to be considered.

Learn more about transcripts and how to have them evaluated.

Your application packet can be mailed to:

Office of Admissions (K500)
Naugatuck Valley Community College
750 Chase Parkway
Waterbury, CT 06708
Request a Form I-20

Request a Form I-20

To be eligible for a Form I-20, students must be admitted to NVCC, must demonstrate adequate English proficiency, and must document enough funding to pay for the first year of tuition and living expenses. 

The following forms are required:

  • Certification of Finance form   This form outlines expected costs and contains a summary of the financial resources that you will use to pay for your education.  International students with families need to prove an additional $1500 per dependent accompanying them.
  • Sworn Promise of Cash Support. or other proof of financial support, signed and notarized by the sponsor.
  • Sworn Promise of Room and Board.  This form is only required if a local sponsor will provide you with free room and board.  It should be signed and notarized.
  • Two months of bank statements from each financial sponsor
  • International Student Information Sheet
  • Copy of your passport identity pages
  • Copies of your F-1 student visa and I-94, if available
  • If you are an international student transferring to NVCC from another U.S. school, follow these additional steps.

Please note: Due to limited access to legal work opportunities, international students at NVCC SHOULD NOT plan on using money earned in the U.S. to pay for their education.

    Acquire F-1 Student Visa Status

    Acquire F-1 Student Visa Status

    In order to apply for a student visa OR a change of status to F-1, you will first be required to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee. The SEVIS fee must be paid at least three days in advance of your visa interview.  To submit your fee visit

    See the accordions below for more information. 

    If you are currently overseas, you will need to apply for an F-1 student visa at the closest US consulate to your home.  For this process, you will need your original Form I-20, your original financial documentation, and any other documentation that is required by the consular branch in your country.  To find the location and expectations of the US consulate(s) in your country, go to and click on the link to the consulate nearest you. 

    For more information about US study in general, and the visa application process in particular, go to
    If you are currently in the US in another visa status, it may or may not be possible to change your status to F-1.  Your chances of success will depend on many factors, and the processing time for change of status applications can vary widely.  Anyone interested in the change of status process should contact Jennifer Wissink, the International Student Advisor.
    Make Your Travel Arrangements

    Make Your Travel Arrangements

    The immigration regulations allow you to enter the U.S. no more than 30 days before the start of the semester. As soon as you know your travel dates, please contact the college to arrange placement testing, new student advising and course registration. Learn more about these steps below.

     Take Your Placement Test

    Take Your Placement Test

    Taking the Accuplacer® Assessment Test will help determine which classes are right for you. This step is required unless placement testing has been waived.

    Visit our testing page to learn how to sign up for a testing appointment, or to obtain study guides and other resources that can help you prepare for the test.

    Meet with an Advisor and Build Your Schedule

    Meet with an Advisor and Build Your Schedule

    Once you’ve completed or been waived from placement testing, you’re ready to meet with an advisor and build your schedule. If you haven’t already done so, now's the time to schedule your advising S.T.A.R.T. session.  At your advising appointment, you can expect to build your class schedule, register for classes, and make payment. 

    As a new, degree-seeking student, registration is only available during your advising session.

    Please remember, in order to register for classes, you must be accepted to the College. 
    Register for Classes

    Register for Classes

    Now that you’ve completed Steps 1-6 you are ready to register. You will learn how to register during your advising appointment (Step 6). Please remember: payment is needed at the time of registration. 
    Pay Your Tuition

    Pay Your Tuition

    Your final step is to make a payment, either in full or through the tuition installment plan for out-of-state students.
    Payment options include:
    • Cash
    • Check
    • Credit Card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover)
    F-1 visa international students are required to pay the out-of-state tuition rate for the duration of their degree program.

    Please note: Students who do not make tuition payments when required are subject to being dropped from classes.
    Test Scores
    Immunization Information
    Transcript Information
    International Student Transcript Information
    Immunization Information
    Proof of English Proficiency Test Information
    Our History
    Project Approach
    The Hundred Languages of Children
    Waterbury Campus
    Danbury Campus
    Waterbury Campus
    Danbury Campus
    title here
    Net Price Calculator
    Testing Module Element