Degree-Seeking Veteran Student Steps to Apply

Application for Degree/Certificate-Seeking Veteran Student

Welcome Veterans!

We are excited you have chosen to be a part of the NVCC veteran student community. We are here to help guide you through the VA and NVCC Admissions process.

We strongly encourage you to visit with one of our Veterans’ Affairs representatives to discuss: 

  • GI Bill benefits
  • CT State Veteran Tuition Waivers
  • National Guard Tuition Waivers
  • Vocational Rehabilitation

Please note:  These steps are for full or part-time degree or certificate seeking students.  If you will not be choosing a degree or certificate program, please hit the back button and choose from "Taking a Class or Two".

    Debbie DiCicco
    Financial Aid Assistant, VA Certifying Official, Wtby/Dnby Campus
    Veterans with last name A-L
    203-575-8006 (p)
    203-575-8157 (f)
    Room: K512
    750 Chase Parkway
    Waterbury, CT 06708
    Johanis Ayala
    Financial Aid Assistant, VA Certifying Official, Wtby/Dnby Campus
    Veterans with last name M - Z
    203-596-2188 (p)
    203-575-8157 (f)
    Room: K512
    750 Chase Parkway
    Waterbury, CT 06708
    Scott J. Farrell
    Assistant Director of Admissions
    203-437-9653 (p)
    203-798-9682 (f)
    Room: 3rd Floor, D311
    190 Main Street
    Danbury, CT 06810


    There are two ways to apply for the GI Bill:

    There are two ways to apply for the GI Bill:

    If you are a new or transfer veteran to NVCC, you are strongly encouraged to meet with one of our Veterans Affairs representative.  

    Please note: the GI Bill only applies to veterans who will be enrolling in a degree or approved certificate program.

    Visit NVCC's Veterans' Affairs office

    Our Veterans' Affairs team is ready to assist you Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

    Waterbury Campus: Financial Aid Office in Kinney Hall K512
    Danbury Campus: Scott Farrell, 2nd Floor Administrative Office

    Be sure to bring a Member 4 copy of your DD-214 and CT Driver’s license.

    Or Apply Online

    Click on ‘apply online’ to complete the GI BILL application.
    If you have any questions, please come visit us - we are here to help!

    GI Bill Online Application

    Now follow these 6 Easy Steps to Enroll

    Apply to NVCC

    Apply to NVCC

    Apply and submit your supporting documents.

    Click to see more
    Apply Online

    Complete our online application.


    Along with your application, you'll need to provide the following documents:

    Proof of High School Completion or GED

    Please provide proof of high school completion by sending a photocopy of your high school diploma, GED, or an official high school transcript with date of graduation.

    Immunization Records

    State law requires all degree-seeking students born after 12/31/1956 to submit immunization documentation for two doses of Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR). Those born after 12/31/1979 are required to also submit immunization documentation for two doses of Varicella (Chicken Pox).

    More Info & Form

    Previous College Transcripts (Optional)

    If you have taken college level classes while in high school, you will need to request a transcript from the respective college to see if your courses are eligible for credit at NVCC. Transcripts may also be used to waive placement testing and prerequisite requirements.

    Learn how to request your transcript.

    Test Scores (Optional)

    If you have taken SAT’s, ACT’s and/or the GED, submit test scores to determine if you need to take the placement exam and for placement into math and English classes.

    Learn More

    Submit all documents to

    Apply for Financial Aid

    Apply for Financial Aid

    As a veteran you may also wish to apply for financial aid to determine PELL grant eligibility.

    Apply for financial aid each academic year that you wish to be considered.

    The FAFSA is now available as early as October 1 for the following academic year--NVCC's federal school code is 006982.

    One of the most important tips for getting started is to apply for financial aid early.

    Apply for FAFSA Types of Aid

    Steps to Financial Aid En Espanol

    IMPORTANT: All personal and contact information entered into the college application and FAFSA application must be exactly the same. If abbreviations are used they must be entered identically in both applications (examples: address abbreviations like St. or Ave., full name including Jr).

    Take Your Placement Test

    Take Your Placement Test

    Taking the Accuplacer® Assessment Test will help determine which classes are right for you. This step is required unless placement testing has been waived.

    Visit our testing page to learn how to sign up for a testing appointment, or to obtain study guides and other resources that can help you prepare for the test.

    Meet with an Advisor and Build Your Schedule

    Meet with an Advisor and Build Your Schedule

    Once you’ve completed or have been waived from placement testing, you’re ready to meet with an advisor and build your schedule. 

    At your advising appointment, you can expect to build your class schedule, register for classes, and make a payment or apply an approved financial aid award.

    Waterbury Campus Advising:  Schedule your New Student Registration session.

    Danbury Campus Advising:  Schedule your New Student Registration session.

    As a new, degree-seeking student, registration is only available during your advising session.

    Remember: in order to register for classes, you must be accepted to the College.

    Register for Classes

    Register for Classes

    Now that you’ve completed Steps 1-4 you are ready to register. You will learn how to register during your advising appointment (Step 4). Please remember: payment is needed at the time of registration. 

    Apply Your VA Benefits to Tuition

    Apply Your VA Benefits to Tuition

    1. All veterans need to confirm your GI Bill or other veteran benefit eligibility with your Veteran Affairs representative.
    2. If you are a GI Bill or Vocational Rehabilitation recipient please complete the Enrollment Verification form.
    3. Visit the Bursar's Office (K508) to complete the VA process:
      GI Bill contact:  Jim Barrett
      Veteran and National Guard Waivers and Vocational Rehabilitation: Colleen Hardy 

    If you've received a pell grant, please discuss your status with the Veteran Affairs representative.

    Test Scores
    Immunization Information
    Transcript Information
    International Student Transcript Information
    Immunization Information
    Proof of English Proficiency Test Information
    Our History
    Project Approach
    The Hundred Languages of Children
    Waterbury Campus
    Danbury Campus
    Waterbury Campus
    Danbury Campus
    title here
    Net Price Calculator
    Testing Module Element