those interested in learning the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful as the administrative hub of the medical office setting and perform the many essential functions of a Medical Administrative Assistant.
Medical Administrative Assistants utilize their knowledge of medical terminology and health care delivery models to perform a number of administrative functions. They may work in a variety of roles and locations with job titles ranging from health unit coordinator or medical office specialist to medical secretary.
Program Requirements Included in Program
- Microsoft Essentials
- Patient Confidentiality
- Customer Service and Communication in Health Care
- Medical Terminology
- Medical Administrative Assistant
Students must complete all of the above courses within the program to be awarded the Medical Administrative Assistant (MAA) Proficiency Certificate.
- The Medical Administrative Assistant duties have evolved in recent years. The MAA is required to be efficient in front office skills as well as knowledgeable in billing, coding, administrative tasks and general patient care. They also need to be up-to-date on HIPPA compliance.
- Students who successfully complete and pass the MAA program will receive the NVCC completion certificate and are eligible to sit one time for the AMCA exam through the American Medical Certification Association at no additional cost. This is a national certification renewable yearly and requires minimal online education every two years to continue certification. The test is comprised of 100 questions. The breakdown is as follows: HIPPA and compliance, scheduling, medical records, types of insurance, billing/coding, medical terminology, anatomy and other administrative knowledge. Allotted time for exam is 2 hours.
If you have questions, please contact the program coordinator, Cindy Tolin at 203-596-8743 for assistance.
Medical Administrative Assistant Brochure
- FALL 2020 SCHEDULE COMING SOON!
- 1764 MAA Certificate Waterbury-Starts February 2
- Payment Plan-Spring 2020
- Registration Form- Please email forms to NC@NV.EDU to be processed.
Conveniently offered at our Waterbury and Danbury Campuses.