The medical coding and billing specialist is an analytic, organized, efficient professional who plays an integral role in the health care team. He or she is responsible for:
- analyzing medical records and assigning codes to diagnoses and procedures
- organizing records to be used for patient billing, insurance claims and account management
- tabulating information for health care surveys, research studies and improved patient care
- communicating with other health care personnel to clarify diagnosis or obtain additional information.
Students should have basic basic computer skills and the program is entirely online and can be accessed through either a PC or Mac® device.
The medical coding and billing specialist program is offered as an online course only and enrollment is rolling. Students are able to begin the program at any time during the calendar year. Students will enroll for the program, make payments online, and receive their textbooks through the mail for the course. The program is meant to accommodate your personal schedule so you can complete the course remotely and not need to come to the campus for instruction.
The course offers students three different certifications to choose from when enrolled in the Medical Billing and Coding program. Students typically seek the CPC certification through AAPC (The American Academy of Professional Coders) and become a Certified Professional Coder or CPC®. The CPC® credential is the most recognized medical coding certification in the healthcare industry. Achieving CPC® certification establishes you as a healthcare professional and increases your chances of being hired in a growing, competitive job market. The course outline below is based on a student seeking AAPC certification.This program is designed to prepare the student for employment in any or all areas of the growing medical reimbursement field.
The online program also allows students to consider and follow coursework for a track to obtain a CBCS (Certified Billing and Coding Specialist) certification through the National Healthcareer Association or the CCA (Certified Coding Association) certification through the American Health Information Management Association. Not all associations allow for online testing so be sure to check the website for details on the certifications and testing options.
This NEW enhanced Ed2Go program includes the following with paid tuition:
- 370 hours of course instruction
- All textbooks, instruction, and assessments
- One year student membership to AAPC
- One time testing voucher for CPC Exam (AAPC) which can be administered in person or online
- Coursework must be completed within 12 calendar months
Students should consult the following websites for information on the various certifications available nationally for Medical Billers and Coders. These are the highest regarded programs or credentials:
Conveniently offered ONLINE ONLY with rolling registration
Registration Directly Online: (Course Code: GES 1014)
Register ONLINE Here!